This unusual octopus appetizer comes to us from De Tropen.
- 1 small fresh octopus, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced rawit Indonesian chiles, or substitute jalapeños
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few drops of sesame oil
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups vegetable oil
For the garnish: Minced cilantro, chopped European cucumber, sliced djersek poeroet (Indonesian lime)
- Divide the octopus into four servings and place on plates.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, scallions, chiles, salt, sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Place the vegetable oil in a saucepan and heat it until smoking. Pour the hot oil over the mixture in the bowl and immediately pour this over the octopus plates.
- Garnish with the cilantro, cucumber, and lime.