Coconut Tempura Fish Tacos are about as tropical as it gets without sand in your swimsuit. This recipe from Byron Bay Chilli Co then takes it to another level with the addition of a mint slaw, too.
Coconut Tempura Fish Tacos Ingredients:
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 500g firm fish fillets (snapper, barramundi, cod)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mineral water (ice cold)
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup coarsely chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- Limes for garnish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Byron Bay Chilli Company Fiery Coconut chilli Sauce with Curry & Ginger
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Cut the fish fillets into strips and marinate them in the lime juice and salt for 30 minutes.
- Next, make the cabbage salad, mixing all ingredients together and set aside.
- After that, combine all of ingredients for the Baja sauce and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Stir in the mineral water and let it stand for 10 minutes. Next, put the coconut in another shallow bowl.
- Dip the strips of fish in the tempura batter and then roll them in the coconut. Fry the battered fish in hot sunflower oil until the fish is lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Next, warm the tortillas on a gas flame, a warm pan or griddle, or heat them in a microwave. They should be flexible and soft.
- To serve, fill each taco with cabbage salad, a strip of coconut fish, a drizzle of Baja sauce, and finish with a good splash of Fiery Coconut Chilli Sauce.
- Serve with wedges of lime.