We enjoyed these unusual chiles stuffed with seafood) in a restaurant in Ticul set up behind the owner’s home. Although this recipe calls for a mixture of seafood, a single ingredient such as shrimp works just as well.
Chiles Stuffed with Seafood Ingredients
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh habanero chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 pound mixed cooked seafood, such as shrimp, scallops, and calamari, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican preferred
- 1/4 cup of your favorite tomato/habanero based salsa
- 4 fresh poblano chiles, roasted and peeled
- Flour for dredging
- 3 eggs separated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salsa de Jitomate Yucateca (recipe above)
- Saute the onion, garlic, and habanero in the butter until softened. Toss with the seafood, cilantro, oregano, and salsa.
- Make a slit in the side of each poblano chile, and stuff the chiles with the seafood mixture. Dredge the chiles with the flour.
- Beat the egg whites until the form stiff peaks.
- Beat the yolks with 1 tablespoon water, flour, and salt until thick and creamy. Fold the yolks into the whites.
- Dip the chiles in the mixture until covered and then fry in 2 to 3-inches of oil until they are golden brown. Drain.
Yield: 4 servings