This fried fish recipe is a real upgrade over the old standard of tartar sauce and chips. It goes very well with steamed rice also.
- 2 small whole fish, cleaned and scaled
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 red chiles, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small can pineapple chunks or rings (if rings, chop into chunks)
- Salt to taste
- Make diagonal slashes on the fish, rub salt into the slashes, and deep-fry the fish.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the oil until hot, then fry the ginger, garlic, and chile for one or two minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and the liquid in the can of pineapple, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Then add the chopped pineapple, and heat through. Serve the sauce over the deep-fried fish, and serve with steamed rice.