This spicy fish dish is a Fijian favorite and utilizes common ingredients of the islands. It is the Fiji version of ceviche. Serve it with a fresh fruit salad.
Kokoda (Fijian Spicy Fish) Ingredients
- 4 large fillets of white fish such as mahi-mahi
- Juice of 3 large limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh coconut cream
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 small green chile, such as serrano, seeds and stem removed, minced.
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
- Cut the fish into bite-size pieces. In a non-reactive bowl, combine the fish, lime juice, and salt. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove from the refrigerator, add the coconut cream, chopped onion, and chile just before serving. Sprinkle the tomatoes and bell pepper over the top. Serve on a bed of lettuce in coconut bilos (half coconut shells).