We don’t usually think about grilling pickled peppers like the ones in this grilled crab-stuffed cherry pepper recipe, but for some reason they turn out great. Just remember not to over-grill the peppers or they may blacken on the outside. Note that although some commercial cherry peppers are called “hot” by the manufacturers, they are usually rather mild. This recipe is reminiscent of the wonderful canned stuffed jalapeños from Mexico–in fact, this recipe works with pickled jalapeños as well.
Grilled Crab-Stuffed Cherry Peppers Ingredients
- 12 pickled “hot” cherry or jalapeño peppers
- 1 ½ tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 3 tablespoons crab meat (canned works fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons dried bread crumbs
- Cut out the stems and core the chiles. The opening should be wide enough to fill. The tip of a vegetable peeler works well for this chore.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling and mix well. Stuff the cherry peppers with the filling and thread on wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. Be sure to thread the peppers so that the filling side is up.
- Grill over a medium fire for about 3 to 4 minutes until hot, and do not turn or the filling could fall out.