It’s winter, and time for comfort foods. Although casseroles and slow-cooked food are always a good choice, shrimp are very versatile and easy to prepare, and this stock is good for a variety of uses.
Shrimp Stock Ingredients
- Shells and tails from two pounds of shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked whole black peppercorns
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size stock pot. Cover them with chicken stock (about four to six cups). Bring this mixture to a low boil; reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine mesh strainer or chinois.