This South African recipe is a party favorite. Just don’t overcook the calamari unless you want to know what it’s like to eat a hemorrhoid donut (it turns from tender to rubbery very quickly). Remove the calamari from the pan the moment it is done.
Garlic Cayenne Calamari Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds calamari tubes, thoroughly cleaned
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon milled black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 7 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
- Nigerian Fried Red Pepper Sauce
- Slice the calamari according to size; smaller specimens are better cut in half, lengthwise, laid flat and each piece scored lightly in a diamond pattern. Next, toss the calamari in the flour seasoned with the black pepper and cayenne.
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat the butter and oil until it starts to brown. Stir in the garlic, add the calamari and cook for one and a half to two minutes, depending on the thickness. Press it down with a spatula to brown nicely. Cook the calamari in batches, to control how quickly it cooks.
- Transfer the calamari to a warmed serving platter, and squeeze the lemon wedges over the top. Last, spoon the sauce over the appetizer. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve with rice.