Hawaii being comprised of islands, it’s no shocker that seafood is a major part of the local diet. This lomi-lomi salmon recipe was originally part of Mike Stines’ Hawaiian cooking story on our sister site.
- 1 (5-ounce) salmon filet
- Coarse kosher or Hawaiian salt
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place a layer of salt into a glass baking dish, top with salmon and cover with more salt. Rub the salt into the salmon, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Rinse the salmon under running cold water and pat dry.
- Shred the salmon into a mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, sweet onion and green onions. Add the lime juice and sugar; season with black pepper. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving.