This soup started as a seafood sauce for enchiladas, but the staff at the Mountain Road Cafe couldn’t keep their spoons out of it, so they turned it into a soup. It’s very rich and hearty and can be garnished with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- 1 ½ cups Green Chile Sauce
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock
- 3 cups white sauce (see Joy of Cooking)
- 1 cup peas, shelled or frozen
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon basil leaf
- 1 pound bay shrimp left whole
- 1 cup milk
- In a pot, combine the Green Chile Sauce and chicken Stock and heat to a simmer. Blend in the white sauce by whipping vigorously.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the milk and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add the milk slowly, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Serve hot, garnished with croutons.