Here’s a concentrated Cajun rub has its origins in Louisiana, where it seems that every home cook has his or her own secret spice mixture for grilled foods. This rub works well on fish and is especially good on shrimp. Sprinkle it on the seafood and allow it to marinate at room temperature for about an hour. This rub is also good on chicken before it’s grilled.
Cajun Rub Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 5 cayenne pods, seeds and stems removed, ground into powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf, center stem removed, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a spice grinder and process until finely ground. Store any unused rub in a sealed container in the freezer.
Yield: 2 ½ tablespoons
Heat Scale: Medium