We loved the way Yucatecans served seafood cocktails like this shrimp one in tall parfait glasses with a thin sauce that was more like a juice. The chopped onions, cilantro and habaneros were served separately so that everyone could add just as much or as little as they wanted.
Yucatecan Shrimp Cocktail Ingredients
- 2 large tomatoes, roasted, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1/4 cup bitter orange juice (see recipe above) or substitute 1/4 cup lime juice, fresh preferred
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup minced red onion, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh habanero chile, stem and seeds removed, minced
- Put the tomatoes, orange juice, and oil in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Stir in the sugar and 1/2 of the onion and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes and then cool.
- Fill parfait glasses with the shrimp and add the juice until covered. Place the remaining onion, cilantro, and chiles on a plate and serve on the side.